Pages

Thursday, 19 January 2017

NBUS and New Technique

Crikey, I can't believe how quick this month is passing and how little crafting I've done. At the end of last year I made myself the usual promises that I would try new techniques and also try to conquer Mt Nbus but it didn't look like I'd be doing either until Darnell laid down the gauntlet in the shape of another of her fabulous NBUS challenges.... and this time she has given us an optional theme to use  - coloured pencils on kraft or if that's not your thing to try a new technique

A search through the cupboard confirmed my suspicion that I no longer had any pencil crayons but I did find some NBUS embossing powders and Versamark ink pad which I'd bought last year when I thought I might try my hand at heat embossing...... I know, I'm very late to the party on this one but it's just something I've never got around to having a go at before. I used a Spellbinders ornament die to cut a stencil from some scrap card and with an NBUS Inkylicious duster (I've had these for at least 3 years) I applied blue Memento ink onto kraft card before using white embossing powder and a stamp from the Penny Black 'spread cheer' stamp set. I added red Stickles for the berries, star dust Stickles around the edges and then used a Sakura white pen to outline it. Then it was just a case of using a corner punch, attaching to a base card and adding a bow. I can see that I'm going to need a lot of practice to master heat embossing and glad that I only bought 3 pots of embossing powder - but at least I've tried!

The ink I used on the bauble is BLUE but looks more like grey in the photo.


So with my NBUS goodies and NBUS technique I'm heading over to Darnell's NBUS challenge

http://www.djkardkreations.com/2017/01/blog-birthaversary-surprise-nbus.html

I'm also entering this in the following challenges

Rubber Dance Stamp challenge 'blue, red, white + option frosty winter'


Sparkles Christmas challenge 'lots of glitter'


Thanks for popping by today and I hope you're having a great crafty start to the year.

18 comments:

  1. Well I think you've done very well for a first attempt at heat embossing! I love your card. heat embossing always wow me, even now after years of doing it...that's how I started crafting! I am probably telling you something you already know here but i always used a Versamark ink pad to heat emboss with in the beginning or perfect medium or like...stays wetter longer...more time to get powder on etc. Do hope you try it again and hey you have a Christmas card ready for this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous card Andrea, great embossing and lovely design.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely card Andrea and love your heat embossing and I think you may have the same camera as me, mine shows any colour but the one I have actually used, it is so frustrating. I have found two pencils, one yellow and the other green, I have yet to try them on kraft card and I have probably thrown the others away, so why I kept these I have no idea. At least you have used kraft card to heat emboss on so looks like you have cracked the challenge and I think red and white goes extremely well on kraft card as you have shown here.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! Heat embossing is fun, isn't it? I'm sure you will be doing lots more of that now that you've given it a go. Well done, btw! Thank you for using our colours and entering the January callenge at Rubber Dance ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the card and I think the colours show up rather well...beautiful.xx{aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Christmas card Andrea, nothin like a bit of sparkle : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you've done a great job with the heat embossing Andrea. Your card looks lovely and it's on kraft too and I love the sparkly berries too. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous card Andrea, fab design
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very pretty. Love the blue against the kraft and the frosty looking branches. Heat embossing is fun. Thanks for joining the Rubber Dance challenge. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a bit agog that you have never tried heat-embossing before, Andrea! It seems like everyone in my local area (and me!) became addicted to this whole hobby BECAUSE of heat-embossing, lol! It is pure magic. It's better if you use a "static buddy" which keeps the bits from sticking everywhere and a Versamark ink pad to stamp your image before adding the powder. I'm so proud of you for trying a NBUS Technique on kraft and for getting into the spirit of NBUS #8! Thank you so much!! Hope hubby is continuing to do well! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just the cutest card ever and just perfect for our challenge over at Sparkles Christmas Challenge "Lots of Glitter" good luck and hope to see you again next time Dt Member Sandra H xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A perfect card and you did a good job with heat embossing. It's really easy isn't it.....now you'll be doing it all the time. And you learned a new technique and it's only January.... just think what the rest of the year will bring. thanks for entering the Sparkles Christmas Challenge.....The Glitter on your card is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very elegant card. It's so beautiful. Thanks for playing along in the Rubber Dance challenge. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea with the stickles for the berries. Playing catchup. The bathroom renvoations should be finished by the end of this week. Feels like I have been living in limbo land for the past month. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo what an absolute stunner, Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gorgeous! Great technique and lovely stamping. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful card, so elegant and pretty. thanks for joining in with us over at Sparkles Christmas. Good luck and we hope to see you next month. Hugs Debs DT.xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful and I love your technique , thank you for sharing it with us at Sparkles Christmas . Hugs Babs DT x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message. I do appreciate it and love reading them all. If by chance you get an undelivered message please ignore it as I DO GET YOUR COMMENTS and think it may just be hotmail and outlook doing silly things.